A blizzard traps 9 guests, the owner and his son in this homage to And Then There Were None mixed with a bit of the Shining. The guests in An Unwanted Guest include:
- Gwen Delaney in corporate public relations despite having a journalism degree and
- Her college buddy, Riley Shuter, who suffers from PTSD from her work as an embedded journalist in Afghanistan
- David Paley, New York criminal defense lawyer visiting alone
- Ian Beeton, businessman staying with
- Lauren Day, his girlfriend
- Beverly Sullivan, working on her marriage to
- Henry, who doesn’t love Beverly anymore
- Dana Hart, drop-dead gorgeous fiancée to
- Matthew Hutchinson, heir to a large New England fortune
- Bradley, clerk and son of
- James Harwood, the hotel’s owner and chef
- Candice White, an author writing her next book
The Unwanted Guest is an excellent traditional mystery but with many twists and turns. Excellent misdirection and red herrings makes the conclusion rate up there with some of Dame Agatha’s finest. Perfect for armchair detectives up for a challenge. 5 stars! I can’t recommend this book highly enough! I loved it!
Thanks to the publisher, Pamela Dorman Books, and Edelweiss+ for an advanced copy.